3/24/2009

my soul is parched; is every day a new existential crisis?

This is the Perrine Bridge in Twin Falls, Idaho. It is the only man-made structure in the US where BASE jumping is allowed year-round without a permit. I cross this bridge every time I go to visit my boyfriend. It crosses over the Snake River Canyon, which is really quite incredible to look at, especially as the sun is setting. Many people commit suicide off of this bridge, and also fall to their deaths when their BASE jumps go awry. Sometimes, it is even seen as a practical way to dispose of the occasional inconvenient dead body. So I have a somewhat morbid fascination with the bridge, since it represents something beautiful and something sinister at the same time. Also, Evil Kneivel attempted to jump across the Snake River Canyon in his Rocket Cycle, but ultimately failed. The ramp off of which he jumped is still visible today, not far from my boyfriend's house. Last weekend, the weather was warm and the boyfriend was working, so Rocky and I took a pleasant stroll along the edge of the canyon.

This sculpture was there, and it reminded me a lot of a little story I wrote about what it would feel like to jump off of this very bridge, to feel yourself falling, and then to suddenly feel yourself rising and to begin flying. I'll have to see if I can track that down. To me, it looks like these ladies are dancing in the wind. I think it's a nice sculpture.

1 comment:

scubasubie said...

Its nice to know I'm not the only one with existential crisis - and that I'm not the only one who even knows what they are :)